- Zero calories.
- Promotes healthy gums and teeth.
- Natural sweetner.
Stevia leaf extract is a naturally derived non-caloric sweetener and flavor enhancer extracted from the leaves of the South American Stevia rebaudiana plant. For hundreds of years, native South Americans have used stevia as a food sweetener and an herbal remedy. The active compounds responsible for giving the stevia leaf its sweet taste are called glycosides. The two main glycosides in stevia are steviosides and rebaudiosides A and C, which are heat and acid stable and up to 300 times sweeter than sugar.
Since the 1970s, Americans have been increasing their sugar intake each year, causing the prevalence of diet-related health problems to skyrocket. Unlike other synthetic sugar substitutes, stevia is derived straight from a plant and does not contain any calories. For best results, add 2-7 drops to desired drink or food as needed. Shake well before using. This product is 100% gluten free.
- Stevia may cause gastrointestinal discomfort including fullness and nausea.
- Stevia users have reported side effects such as headache, dizziness, and numbness in some cases, though these have not been observed in clinical trials.
- Theoretically, people allergic to plants in the Asteraceae/Compositae family may be allergic to stevia.
- When combined with other glucose-lowering supplements or drugs, stevia may increase the risk of hypoglycemia.
- Stevioside may have hypotensive effects.
- Stevia may act like a diuretic, decreasing the body’s ability to get rid of lithium.